Design and Technology
Design Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject that should provide children with a real life context for learning. At Bushfield Road Infant School, Design and Technology will allow children to solve real life and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Children will learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens.
By the end of KS1, our children will have developed the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world. They will be able to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and the work of others.
At Bushfield Road Infant School, Design Technology will be taught in all year groups through at least one topic per term, which includes one topic relating to food. Design Technology projects are often made cross curricular - linking to other subjects taught.
Design and Technology is organised into 5 main strands.
- Design - children are encouraged to develop purposeful, appealing products for themselves and others based upon a given design criteria. They are encouraged to present their designs through drawings, labels, writing and where appropriate ICT.
- Making - children will have the opportunity to use a wide variety of materials, resources and ingredients and will gain experience at using different tools and equipment. Evaluating - children will evaluate existing products and their own made products to identify their strengths and areas for development.
- Technical knowledge - children will build structures investigating what makes them stronger, stiffer and more stable. They are also encouraged to explore and use mechanisms (levers, sliders, wheels and axles) in their products.
- Cooking and Nutrition - children will use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes and develop an understanding of where food comes from.
Throughout Year 1 children will get the chance to design, make and evaluate......
- A moving picture (using the mechanism of a lever or slider)
- A healthy food product (e.g. a salad or a smoothie)
- A textile product
Throughout Year 2 children will get the chance to design, make and evaluate.....
- A moving vehicle (using wheels and axles)
- A healthy food product (a sandwich snack)
- A textile product (using sewing e.g. a tree decoration)